Freshman again

8:58 AM

This past week has been spent dashing from building to building on the campus of my alma mater, collecting a parking pass, student ID and textbooks, all of which are overpriced. Classes start on Wednesday, and I'll technically be a freshman, after 5 years of thinking one degree was quite enough thank you very much.

I'm meeting my second run as a student with very mixed emotions. One the one hand, I dread the logistics--fighting for a parking spot, wearing practical shoes for zipping around campus, carrying a.. backpack? Is that what they use these days?
On the other hand, that long lost feeling of anticipation for a fresh school year has slowly come creeping back. It's a much needed chance to prove that this dusty mind still can still get the lead out. To be honest, I'm not sure, especially when it comes to accounting, statistics, and other topics I despise by default.

Of course, the best part of going back to school is fresh notebooks.

The long term vision is to obtain my MBA, but first things first I'll have to rack up some pre-reqs and actually plan out my application process. I had no idea that applying for a competitive graduate program really takes place almost a year in advance.

Suddenly, school has gone from being an elaborate back-up plan, to the front runner for my attention. And this all happened in a matter of two weeks. Thank goodness for my gemini nature--I thrive on having my world rocked on a dime turn.

Speaking of the zodiac and other things that should be fictitious: I had my palm read last Wednesday  while killing time in the French Quarter. My soothsayer was a pretty woman who had clearly lived harder than her age and had no teeth to boot. I'd highly recommend this.

She revealed:

I would live into my 80s
Health problems will begin in my 60s but
I get to keep my marbles throughout my lifetime (her words--not sure I have any marbles to begin with)
I will have success early in life but
Financially times will be hard up front
I will make an impact on my community and have some influence 
I will eventually own property, have investments and retire well
I will make a good parent and am good with pets
I am stubborn and independent and cannot be told what to do
I will have two great loves in my life
One will be short-lived, lasting only a few months
And the other will be "Disney quality with fireworks and all"
And it will last, but will be difficult to maintain
I have been burned at least once by my close friends
But when they are true, I give 150%

"Any questions?"

She said all this without once looking up or missing a beat. Her voice was quite elegant and soothing, and after one Voodoo daiquiri already, I was willing to believe everything she said. I left her $20 that I felt was too little for her services.

Now I'm asking myself, should I have gone into palm reading? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Speak up

Popular Posts

What I'm Reading

  • Unbecoming by Rebecca Scherm
  • Disrupted by Dan Lyons
  • Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill

QOTD

All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure. - Mark Twain