Let's talk downtown

9:04 AM

So, little known fact: I'm actually a shy bird. Throughout high school I was reserved and observant and giggled a lot. As I've gotten older, I've become more like my mother and I find myself talking to strangers in grocery store aisles or in line anywhere for that matter. She and I both love a good chat with a total stranger. But one thing I can't stand is being on camera talking to a reporter. And yes, it's ironic since I started my career as a journalist and my education background is photojournalism. I prefer to be wielding the lens or the pen, not on the business end of it.

I had to overcome this fear three years ago when I took the Laurel Main Street job. It never occurred to me that I'd have to be on camera, sometimes answering some uncomfortable questions or things I didn't know the answer to. Eventually I found that my nerves are a lot calmer if I'm talking on something I'm passionate about. And downtown is just that.

Since joining the public relations world and no longer (at the moment anyway) acting as a journalist, I've noticed that I'm not the only one with a shy streak handing publicity for an organization. In fact, most of the PR professionals I encounter, and the ones I seem to like the most, are as equally introverted as extroverted.
Makes me want to start a public relations firm called ShyPR.
Motto: "Think Before You Speak"
Oh, the business ideas you can come up with before sunrise.

This morning, I made my way to the WDAM studio out in Eastbuchie, Miss. (aka BFE) at 5:30 a.m. and got to sit down with long time reporter Miranda Beard to talk about an upcoming workshop that we're offering through Historic Hattiesburg Downtown Association next week.


So I've been up for 5 hours this morning and it's not even 9 a.m. Thankfully I'm off work for the rest of the day. Back to bed? Nah.
Carpe Diem!

OH! Excuse this girly, superficial moment:
My mom called after watching this clip and said her co-workers wanted to know 1) how I got my hair so shiny and 2) where I got my shoes..?

1) Thanks ladies! My hair looks a hot mess most of the time because I hate fooling with it, so I'll take the compliment. I use Bedhead Control Freak (how apropos) Shampoo and no conditioner because my scalp is naturally oily. Then I spray while damp with White Sands Thermal Spray all over and blow dry in sections with a round brush on high with a concentrator attachment. Doesn't take more than a few minutes or I wouldn't do it. Both of these products were recommended to me by my fabulous friend and hairdresser Jennifer Coghlan of Coghlan's in Laurel, Miss.

2) The shoes are these black BCBG wedges purchased from DSW.
I don't usually spring for BCBG prices, but I had a $20 off coupon. You can attain a similar look from these Payless cork wedges for < $23.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Speak up

Popular Posts

What I'm Reading

  • Unbecoming by Rebecca Scherm
  • Disrupted by Dan Lyons
  • Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill

QOTD

All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure. - Mark Twain